Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Mumbai meri Jaan??


Yeah, I was moving to Mumbai, being in a new city, meeting new people, I was going thru a variety of emotions. I was excited and at the same time extremely sad to leave my parents and move on.
26th July rain delayed our shifting to Bombay, we came in August. But what the heck, the rains were bad enough for me then as well. I am so not used to heavy rains and all. Life came to a standstill if it rained in Delhi, we used to cancel our dinners, our outings everything, but damn, nothing stops working in Bombay.
I admire this attitude of people though, they have learned to live with the fact that it will rain for months altogether. Phew! Wud be hard for me to adjust, but guess that’s life, it throws u in the most bizarre situations at the most unexpected time.

I started to explore the city, the hard way, traveling in jam-packed trains, which by the way is an experience in itself. Smartly dressed up people, full of sophistication suddenly turn into demons. They kick u, hurl abuses at u and even punch u to get on to the train. It’s also an art I think, and I fail miserably in this game.
All the stories I had heard about the traffic and crowd in Bombay came alive, Bombay isn’t called world’s 4th most populated metropolitan area for nothing!

But then the good part, when u meet people with whom u can connect. My friends, my saviors, my sweethearts Anusha, Ipshi and Josie. I have seen Bombay in a new light thanks to them. Discovered the amazing bakeries, beautiful and majestic sea, yummy vada pavs, samosa pavs (didn’t know the concept of samosa with pav! It’s amazing, must try!), delicious frankies and ofcourse Hill Road.
Wait, there is certainly more to Bombay than vada pav and sea. U meet these amazing people who just aren’t bothered about what u are wearing and if u r wearing! No questions asked, no eyebrows raised, no eve-teasing and u can actually travel at night, which by the way was new to me, we dnt travel alone in Delhi, actually ‘can’t travel alone’ would be more appropriate.

It’s so sad to see a wonderful place like Bombay becoming a dumping ground, a big slum. We surely can do with some wide roads, cleaner mithi river and better trains. Wish these politicians cud once think abt the people rather than themselves :(

Undeniably, Bombay has something magical about it. There is some kind of an unexplained attraction, for some its money and for some fame. But sincerely I still feel Bombay can't beat Delhi, u just can't compare the two in terms of wide roads, green pastures, open spaces and amazing street food. I miss Delhi, boo…..hooo….hoo :(

4 comments:

Ipshi said...

yea .. yea.. mumbai is dirty .. but u havnt seen the town part hav ya .. we have wide roads there that will put delhi to shame !!! bombay has everything baby dollz .. come explore a bit more !!

Anonymous said...

good, ur turning out to be a mumbaiite. U already have got the lingo and now in some time u may soon bcome good at commuting. I am impressed by your sporting spirit.
Good goin!

Ipshi said...

write more ....!!!!! im waiting !!

Anonymous said...

Loved it!!!